A Pictorial Tour
Trunk Pacific Railway in Rivers, Manitoba
of The Rivers Train Station Restoration Committee
Rivers Railway Facilities – A Pictorial
This aerial view of the Rivers Yards shows the main features,
as they appeared around 1945.
The C.N.R. Station, which replaced the Great Northern Station
after the fire of 1917.
The Alexandra Hotel – conveniently located across from the
4: The Coal Dock – a mechanized re-fueling station. South
of the station.
Water Towers – Water was pumped from a dam on the Little
Saskatchewan, nearly a kilometre to the south.
The Roundhouse, built in 1908 and re-built in 1918. The
standard service centre found at divisional points on major rail lines.
With a turnable for turning the steam engines around after service.
This map shows the larger area.
The Rivers Grand Trunk Pacific Station, 1908 – 1917
Station Fire, March 4,1917
The Rivers Trestle Bridge, first used in 1908, shown here
Grant’s Cut – an excavation that allows for a gentle decline
to the trestle bridge.
Bell’s Crossing – important road crossing before the modern
highways were built.
Modern bridge alongside the former site of Bell’s Crossing,
showing the rail line curving in to Grant’s Cut.
The Pumphouse on the Little Saskatchewan River – Steam
Engines needed a good supply of water.
Former site of CPR. Dam, now washing away.
Image 15: Older photo of the Dam and Picnic Spot known as “The Tents”,
taken about 1950.
Another photo of the dam, taken in about 2003. The Former
C.P.R. Branch line which connected Brandon (by way of Chater and
Forrest) with Lenore is shown in the top half of this photo. It was the
first railway to serve the region. The Cossar Crossing is quite visible
at the top right. The pump house is at centre left.
Cossar Crossing – A bridge and siding on the C.P.R. Lenore