From Bradwardine and District
2. First Settlers in Daly:
From Bradwardine and
3. Early Daly History J. C.
4. The Ancrum Story: From
5. Bradwardine Beginnings:
From Bradwardine and
6. The Promised Land by Eileen
7. Roseville Church Story by
J. C. Cousins
8. The Roseville Church Story
by Denise Bromley
9. The Sioux by J.C. Cousins
10. The Railway Companies:
11. Bradwardine Beginnings 2: From Bradwardine and District
12. The Chapman Museum Story
by Ab and Harriet
Document #1: Homesteading
Excerpt From: “Bradwardine & District, A Century &
History Book Committee, 2003
In 1878, a
district homestead land office was located at the newly
hamlet of Rapid City, jumping off point for settlers going to the then
Rapid City, or Farmer's Crossing as it was originally known, was
on the south branch of the long established Hudson Bay Trail that led
from Winnipeg and Portage la Prairie to the trading post of Fort Ellice
beyond. The village is located on 20/29-10-20 Wl on the Little
River originally called the Rapid River. Freight was transported by Red
cart to Rapid City until the C.P.R. was constructed to Forrest in 1882.
At Rapid City, settlers could check available homestead locations and
travel on by foot or horseback to view the prospects. Once a suitable
site was located, and location was identified by the number on the
mound left by the surveyors, the settler would return to the homestead
to finalize his claim. John Parr's homestead and future "Bradwardine"
office were south¬west of Rapid City, a trip of over 20 miles cross
Many of Rapid City's first residents predicted that it would become the
metropolis that its name suggests. However, these hopes would not be
In 1881, construction of the transcontinental Canadian Pacific Railway,
the establishment of a railway station at Brandon, settled the matter.
quickly became the major trading centre in western Manitoba.
After Manitoba became a province in 1870, the government proceeded with
establishing the base lines, section, township and range markers to
settlement. At the same time, negotiations were proceeding between the
government and the Native tribes, and the route for the
railway was being surveyed.
About 1879-80, the prairie lands were opened for settlement in western
and settlers rushed to the district to apply for homesteads. Not all
was available for free homestead applications. Two sections of land in
township were reserved for Manitoba schools, one and three-quarters
for the Hudson Bay Company (HBC), and sixteen sections for the Canadian
Railway (CPR). These reserved lands were then subsequently sold to
The CPR initially sold its lands in the Tarbolton district for
in 1881, increasing to $3.00/acre or more in the 1890's and $6.00/acre
1908. Price may have varied, depending on the land's agricultural
Homesteaders could apply to the government for a free quarter section
land (160 acres) for a $10.00 application fee. The application required
commitment that a house and barn be built and that the applicant reside
the property and break and cultivate 30 acres of land. After three
the settler could apply for a patent to the land if all conditions had
met. After the land patent was received, an application could be made
purchase an additional 160 acres for a $10 fee and payment of $1.00 per
This was known as "preemption".
Most of the early settlers came from Ontario where all available land
previously been occupied. The population in Manitoba in 1870 was only
people, half English speaking and half French speaking. By 1891 the
had grown to more than 108,000 and of these, more than 46,000 were born
Ox Carts and Early Travel to Western Manitoba -
Most early homesteaders hauled their possessions in Red River carts
by oxen, which were stronger and more durable than horses. However,
were extremely slow, 15 to 20 miles per day would be a reasonable
Some wagons were pulled by a yoke of two oxen, others by four. Most
have one or two cows tied behind the wagon and the usual dog.
Travel was often done in groups so that assistance could be offered
difficulties arose. Government guides were also apparently used in the
days. Snow, rain, mud, deep ruts on the trails as well as flies,
temperamental oxen, lost livestock, troublesome creek crossings and
hills made travel difficult. If the wagons were heavily loaded, the
sections of the trail in sandy, muddy, or hilly terrain might have to
travelled twice with the load split in half. One record indicates a
of three and a half days travel time from Winnipeg to Portage la
a distance of 60 miles, with two wagons and a yoke of oxen on each.
would be an average of 17 miles per day.
The Hudson Bay
Trail from Winnipeg
The first settlers in Bradwardine district arrived about 1880. They
westward from Winnipeg on the Hudson Bay trail which followed the north
of the Assiniboine River through Headingly, Poplar Point, and High
to Portage la Prairie.
The spring run-off in June of 1881 was exceptionally high, causing a
on the Assiniboine which was at a 25-year high. The streets of Portage
Prairie that spring were reported to be virtual seas of mud and water.
flood caused major difficulties for the settlers traveling that year.
and freight companies delivered goods of all to this boom town by steam
travelling on the Assiniboine River. Settlers obtained their final
at Portage la Prairie, and many shipped their goods there by boat in
to save time, and to avoid the many problems with mud, broken down
and stubborn ox learns.
After leaving Portage la Prairie, the south branch of the trail passed
Rat Creek, Beaver Creek, McKinnon Creek, through the sand hills to Pine
(north of present Melbourne). It continued through more sand hills to
Fingerboard, Moore Park, and Rapid City. The south branch of the Hudson
trail continued northwest after leaving Rapid City and re-joined the
branch a few miles east of Salt Lake, near Strathclair.
There was some merit to travelling in the spring when the ground was
There were no mosquitoes in the spring, and there would still be time
break land and plant a small crop during the first season on the
Snow was a major disadvantage to travel in the early spring. Some
sections of the trail were difficult to traverse due to deep snow sand
or equipment damage and the heavy loads might then have to be split up
advanced in stages.
Various locations along the trail had "stopping places” here very
for man and beast could be obtained and where food was available. After
a night in one of the crowded stopping places, many pioneers claimed
experience of having a host of other "very small tavellers" joining
for the remainder of the trip. Some the early stopping place
Rat Creek had Cook's Stopping Place (SP),
McKinnon Creek - Bryce's SP,
Pine Creek(near Melbourne)- Flewellings SP,
Oberon - Nicol's SP, and
Fingerboard - Dodd's SP
The location on the trail known as Fingerboard was near present day
where branches led from the rmain trail to Minnedosa, Rapid City and
Valley (near the future site of Brandon).
Document #2: Daly’s First
“Bradwardine & District, A Century & More”,
Book Committee, 2003 p.11
survey of Daly Municipality was complete by 1874, and the
of homestead lands were then advertised. However, prospective
may have been initially concerned about going into the then untamed
In 1876, the Sioux massacred General Custer's troops in Montana at the
of the Little Bighorn and then escaped to Canada for Queen Victoria's
in the Northwest Territories (today's Saskatchewan). No one knew if
would be similar problems in the next few years.
Access to western Manitoba was by the Hudson Bay Trail from Fort Garry,
by steamboat on the Assiniboine River. Steam-powered paddle boats,
had long been active on the Red River, navigated west as far as Fort
in 1879. Due to the meandering nature of the Assiniboine, the distance
by the boats was about three times the distance as the crow flies -
travellers claimed that walking was faster. Cordwood was stockpiled at
along the riverbanks to supply these river boats, which stopped
to take on fuel.
One of the first arrivals in Daly was T. Cousins, who constructed his
in 1879. Other homesteaders purchasing Township 12, Range 22, land in
were: William Harvey (NW36), Ernest Glinz (SW34, NE35),George
25), William Dawe (SW&SE 23)and Joseph Whitechurch (all 24).
Others arriving in 1880 to settle in Township twelve in Daly were: John
(NW10), Thomas Thomson (SW10), William Baily (NE14), Joseph Z. Baily
Alfred Field (SE18), John Baily (NE 22), Zachary Baily (SE 22), Samuel
(NE26), Edwin McTaggart (NW28), Robert McTaggart (SW28), James Dobson
Needham Furnival (SE30), Thos. H. Gregson (SE32), Edward Reid
John Marsh (NE36).
The majority of these early arrivals in 1879 & 1880 claimed
in the northeastern portion of the township, the area now known as
Possibly this was due to finding suitable agricultural land closer to
City where supplies could be obtained and the supposition that grain
could be marketed there when the railway arrived.
Homestead families arriving in Township 12 in 1881 were: Joseph
(NE6), William Ruller (NW6), Edward Hunter (NW7), John Dyer (SW12),
Baily(NE15), Archibald Chisholm (NW, NE18), John Marsh (NW20),and
(NE20). Many others also arrived early in 1882.
In 1880, the first families to file for homesteads in the Township 11,
area were William Rutherford, James and Ann Joynt, Thomas Seens and
Wood. Others who were listed as arriving in the district about the same
were John Ramsay, Thomas Thomson Sr., W. Graham and J. Wedderburn.
Company records indicate 1881 buyers of CPR Township 11, Range 22, Wl
were James Young (Sec.9 & 19) on Oct. 10, 1881, Bery Garrett and
Ferguson (Sec.33) on October 26,1881; and George and Frederick Wolrige
on November 30, 1881. The trickle of settlers became a flood in 1882
the CPR was built west to Brandon and transportation of people and
to the district became fast and economical.
Excerpt From the work of J.C. Cousins, one of the earliest settlers in
Before the Province of Manitoba was divided into separate
it was governed, by County Councils. I will show the County of Brandon
which Daly formed a part. The County was comprised of five
Daly, Elton, Whitehead, Glenwood and, Cornwallis and in 1882 the names
the County Councillors were as follows; James Pettitt represented,
Mr, Clegg represented Eiton, Mr. Hannah, represented Whitehead, Mr.
represented Glenwood and as Brandon was unorganized and situated in
Municipality, Charlie Whitehead a C.P.R. Contractor, represented it.
Macdonald was Solicitor, George H. Halse was Secretary Treasurer
the County. He subsequently went to Vancouver and took over the
of the British Columbia Telephone System. In 1883, a Mr. William
and William Hunter contested the Seat for Daly Thompson won. He
before the yearly term was up and Williiam Sargent (A brother of
Sargent who was Reeve of Daly at a later for ten years) and
Kennedy were nominated, to fill In the unexpired, term. Sargent was
Also a reference to the Western Judical District Board. Major Lawrence
was Secretary Treasurer at this time of what was called Western
west of Carberry. This originally formed, part of the North West
and was then added to the other part of the Province of Manitoba. A
booth was at a Mr. Valliant’s on Section 8-12-20 for the election
of a County
Councillor for 1885. John A. Dyer and a Mr. McLean were scrutineers for
Kennedy and. Thomas Cousins represented Mr. Sargent.
In 1884 when the bridge was being built across the Little Saskatchewan
the original Pendennis Post office, Walter Sargent had the Contract and
sub-let the work of filling in the approaches to Charles Tufts and
Simonite (Mr. Simonlte’s son is an alderman in Winnipeg). This
was situated between Section 14 and 23-12-21 (the present C.P.R.
bridge was built over the same site. George, my brother, worked
In 1884 the Province was divided and organized into separate
James Pettit and William Sargent were nominated to contest the seat for
Reeveship. Pettitt won. He had been educated for a Presbyterian
The Councillors elected for each Township were as follows;
Township 11 Range 20 - James Browning,
" 21 - John Bradley,
11 “ 22 -
12 “ 22
- Fred Westwood
- William Brown.
Clerk • Douglas Ayer,
James Sibbald – grandson of the Midshipman James Sibbald who was
Nelson and was to one who placed his kit bag under the dying
as he lay dying.
At the house of William Creighton, Sec. 11-21,in the Municipality
Daly, on January 8th, 1884, the first meeting of the Council took
Reeve Pettit in the chair having signed, his declaration of office at
The following persons then signed the Declaration of Office and were
in as Councillors for this year 1884: John Bradley, James Sibbald,
Braun, F.T. Westwood and Zachary Bailey. Applications for
position of Clerik were received -
T.N. Shepherd, Robert Kerr. Douglas Ayer. Moved by John Bradley and
Braun that Douglas Ayer be Clerk for the ensuing year and, he was then
in as Clerk for the year 1884.
The report of Matthew Kennedy, returning officer was read and accepted.
- Bradley and Braun, returning officers will be paid. Motion Z.
seconded by John Bradley that the Reeve be empowered to employ a
Moved by Westtwood and Bradley that the clerks purchase the necessary
Council adjourned to meet at Willlam Creighton’s on January 28th,
at 12 o'clock.
James Pettit - Reeve,
D. Ayer, - Clerik
January 28th, 1884 – Second Meeting of Council.
The meeting was called to order b Reeve Pettit. James Browning took the
of office, The Minutes of the last meeting were read and
Applications for the position of Assessor were received.
Applications for Treasurer from Aaron Tyerman and. Archibald Chisholm.
Motion - Bailey and Browning - that Matthew Kennedy
Assessor for the
Motion – F.T. Westwood and Braun that the salary of the
Motilon - Browning and Bradley - that the Motion appointing Matthew
Aaaessor, be rescinded. Carried
Motion - Browning and Bradiey - that Robert Chisholm be assessor
at a salary
of S65.00 per year.
Amendment - Westwood and Braun - that F. C. Thorne be appointed
at $65.00 per year. The amendment lost. Motion Carried.
Motion Westwood and Braun - that Douglas Ayer be appointed Treasurer
his furnishing two securities of S200 each and himself in like
satisfactory to Council and that he receive a salary for the combined,
of Secretary and Treasurer of S200 per annum.
Motion by Browning and Bradiey that T.M. Daly be appointed
at a salary of S60.00 per annum. Carried
Motion by Browning and Bradiey that the Reeve be authorized to procure
Seal for the Municipality. Carried,
Motion by Braun and Bradley - that clerk be entrusted to procure eight
of the Municipal Act.
The Ancrum Story
“Bradwardine & District, A Century & More”,
Book Committee, 2003 p.13
In 1881-82, the Chisholm, Scott, Crowe, Sharman, Doering, Lockhart
McDermid families had all acquired land within a one-mile radius from
SW of Section 16. The area was then known as a part of Lothair
but would in future be called Ancrum. Robert Chisholm, who owned the
must have been a prime mover in the formation of Wellwood School
as the new school was built on Robert's land and he also became the
In September 1884, a bylaw was enacted by Daly Municipality fixing the
and establishing the Protestant School District of Wellwood. In 1885,
school was built on the west side of SW Sl/2 16-12-22, about midway
Mr. Robert Chisholm was the first trustee and the first teachers were
Cameron and Mr. Hays.
About 1900, the proposed route for the Great Northwest Central included
railway station at Ancrum, then the location of Ancrum school, the
Order of Foresters Hall and St. Matthew's Anglican Church. (A small
house was located immediately south of the old church site and was
until about 1946. It was originally intended as a manse.) However, in
final design the company moved the station one mile west to an
site at Bradwardine.
Ancrum was apparently not chosen for a townsite by the railway builders
to a dispute about land price and what was claimed to be an
railway grade. The site switch was a common tactic used by railway
to minimize construction costs by obtaining cheaper land. The school
been gone since the early 1900's, and the Anglican Church manse since
1950. The Anglican Church was closed and relocated to the farm of Clair
Beth English in 1986, a mile to the north of Bradwardine on Highway
The Forester's hall was moved to Bradwardine shortly after 1902. Used
as a hall for the Foresters, than as a school, later as a residence
WWII, and finally as a hall for the Canadian Legion, it was destroyed
a fire in 1967.
Today, the only evidence of the small settlement at Ancrum is the stone
which marks the site of the former Ancrum school. It may be found three
of a mile south of Ancrum cemetery inside the fence on the east side of
A half mile north of the old Ancrum church site, on the northwest
of the highway, many of the pioneer family members and their
are remembered in the well-kept Ancrum Cemetery. A historical cairn is
at the SE corner.
Many other pioneer family names are to be found in the Greenwood
near Harding in Woodworth Municipality and in Tarbolton Cemetery.
Document #5: The
“Bradwardine & District, A Century & More”,
Book Committee, 2003 p.12
in 1883 / 84 / 85
The Forester's Hall was built at Ancrum in 1893. That was also the year
the R.M. of Daly came into existence with the distinction of being the
rural municipality established in Manitoba. A new school was built at
in 1883 to fill the educational needs of the children from the many new
John Parr opened his store and became the first postmaster at
on W12-12-23W1 in 1884. The mail confirmed rumours that the Cree had
an uprising in the Northwest Territories (Saskatchewan area) led by Big
The newly built CPR was quickly used to rush troops from the east to
How Bradwardine got its name -
Bradwardine may have received its name from that of a character in
novel "Waverly". There is also a place of a similar name in south-west
which has only a minor difference in spelling.
Bradwardine is also a famous English family name. Thomas Bradwardine
was the confessor to King Edward III and later became Archbishop of
In any event, Bradwardine was the name given to the post office which
Parr established in his home and store on August 01, 1884. John was a
brother to Mrs. Edward Hunter (nee Carefoot/Parr).
In 1875, John Parr and his family moved from Ontario to Winnipeg where
obtained work as a messenger for the CPR. The family came up the
by boat in the spring of 1882, disembarking near the Anglican Mission
they took shelter. The trip lasted only a week as the Assiniboine was
flood stage and short cuts could be taken. The Parrs claimed a
and were soon joined by the Ed Hunter family which had travelled west
Portage la Prairie with oxen.
The original location of John Parr's "Bradwardine" Post Office was
"across the line" in Woodworm Municipality, one and a half miles
to the west of the present day Bradwardine in Daly Municipality.
The Village of Bradwardine was built in its present location as a
of the establishment of a railway station on the new line for the Great
Central Railway (GNWCR). After the construction of the GNWCR, Parr's
"Bradwardine" Post Office closed and relocated to the new village in
E7-12-22 Wl in the Municipality of Daly.
Registered Plan of the Village of Bradwardine
The original homesteaders of the NE, SE, & SW of 07-12-22W1 were
Elliot and J. Scott, who purchased the land from the CPR for $2.50/acre
1882. Mr. Scott later assigned his interest in these three quarters of
section to Mr. Elliot in 1898. In 1901, Andrew and George Common
the property from the Elliot family.
When the Great Northwest Central Railway was built to Bradwardine, the
land for the village and railway was purchased from the Common family,
owners of the east half of Section 7. The legal survey was undertaken
on its completion a plan was drafted and signed on July 09, 1902.
The plan was later registered as #145 in the Brandon Land Titles Office
Jan. 30, 1904. It shows the prior land owners to be George and Andrew
who operated a farm just west of the new village. Common family members
operated Bradwardine businesses in the early days. Their descendants
reside in Daly municipality.
The original village plan consisted of four blocks and included a
site. The streets were named Elliot and St. James. Elliot Street, named
an original homesteader on the land, runs adjacent and parallel to the
line. The avenues were named from west to east, St. Andrews, Kings,
and Park, north to south.
Document #6: The Promised
An excerpt from:
“Porridge and Old Clothes”, Eileen M.
"Shake your sark-tail,
Agnes, we're gangin' awa' tae Canada," so said
great grandfather to my great grandmother a-way back in June, 1882.
sat there stunned for a moment, but she was never one to sit stunned
long. She packed their meagre belongings in a couple of stout,
trunks and some boxes, gathered together their nine
remaining offspring, the two eldest already having emigrated to Canada,
set sail on the "S. S. Manitoban". As the shores of Scotland grew
and dimmer, Agnes had some misgivings about the venture. There
There wild Indians over in Canada and, she had heard, they sometimes
on the warpath and scalped people. The skin began to prickle on the
of her neck and her heart gave a lurch, but she said nothing
to Andrew, her spouse, because he was so looking forward to pioneering
a brand new land, and they were both anxious to see Jock and Willie,
two eldest sons, again. She thought of the three tiny graves they were
behind and quickly put it out of her mind.
The trip was long but quite uneventful. Thankfully, the food was good
the ship was comfortable. When the whistle blew and the ship began to
the three youngest children screamed in terror. Andrew Jr. pointed to
far end of the ship and said, "Is yon Manitoba, is yon Jock, is yon
all the time tears streaming down his face. Then the steward lined up
on deck and took the roll-call. "Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Rutherford,
George, James, Mary, Sandy, Tina, Robert, Archie, Andrew Jr.," he
Aye, all present so far. All became seasick for a period of about four
and then they were up on deck again, all except my great grandmother.
just couldn't get her head up, as she put it. The stewardess and the
went down to her stateroom to see what was wrong and surmised that she
simply exhausted. At last, the stewardess and Agabella managed to get
on deck and she slowly revived. The immigrants landed at Point Levy and
by train to Toronto. They couldn't get over the fact that they could
from one end of the train to the other instead of being locked into a
as they were in Scotland.
Andrew telegraphed to the Robertsons of chocolate fame and Gideon, the
met them at the station. It was four o'clock in the morning and they
to walk a mile to the Robertson home.. The children were crying because
were so tired. The streets were lined with beautiful trees and Agnes
hardly believe it when she saw the splendid stores with their goods
in the windows. They finally arrived at the Robertson home and were
into a handsome room. It was not long before Mrs. Robertson, Andrew's
sister, appeared. They had not seen each other for thirty years
embraced affectionately. She was the eldest and he the youngest of a
of ten. As soon as all eleven of them had a bite to eat, they marched
to the bathroom and had a wash which helped to refresh them. After
there for three days and two nights, Agnes, Andrew, and the children
given plenty of provisions by Mrs. Robertson and. they set out by train
On arrival at Sarnia, they had to take an old wreck of a boat up the
Lakes. Incidentally, it sank on the next trip. Agnes
that she could see the water down through the floor boards. The
Lakes trip took five days and there were no beds on the boat. They
at Duluth on a Saturday night and stayed, all night in the immigration
for to stay in a hotel would have been too expensive. On arising on the
they were shocked to see men at work painting houses.
The train left Duluth on Sunday afternoon. Willie was at Winnipeg
meet them and the first thing he said was, "Where is ma mither?" In
days, the boat plied up and down the Assiniboine River and they took it
a point just beyond Brandon. Willle took them to a friend's place
they stayed all night. It came a dreadful thunderstorm during the
and the rain came through the roof onto the bed. The mud ran down
walls for it was a log house plastered with mud. They had been on
road exactly one month to the day. The next morning, they had
eaten their breakfast when the Indian missionary arrived to tell them
Jock was waiting on the other side of the river with the wagon and
They had. to wade through long grass to the river, which was in flood,
the smaller children. Agnes climbed into the small rowboat with
youngest child and the missionary rowed them across. She was more
of this crossing than crossing the Atlantic. Several trips later, all
safe on the other side. Jock took his mother in his arms and
her to the wagon, the rest wading through the wet grass. They all
into the wagon and, with Jock gee-hawing the oxen, drove off with a
of his whip. Agnes noted, the absence of reins and wondered how
stopped the oxen if they should decide to run away. It was a
rough nine-mile trip that Agnes thought would never end but, at last,
could recognize Maggie, Willie's wife, coming to meet them with two
clinging to her skirts and one in her arms. At long last, they
at the end of their journey.
The next job was to find a suitable homestead, and to build a sod
before winter set in. Andrew finally chose a piece of land with
hills, valleys, and the Oak River running through it. He said
it reminded him of the hills of home in the Yarrow Valley of bonnie
Being a joiner by trade, it didn't take him long to figure out how to
a "soddy" as the sod shanties were sometimes called, After living in a
for awhile the immigrants had more colourful names for them! With
help of his eldest boys, he cut poplar poles
and put up a framework. Then the tough prairie sod was cut into
"bricks" and these were stacked, one on top of the other, until they
the roof, leaving openings for a door and a window. The roof was
of poplar poles laid close together, then a layer of hay was added, a
of sod, more hay, and, finally, the whole was covered with a layer of
Sod houses were very warm in winter, cool in summer, and. leaked like a
whenever it rained. When the house was finished, Agnes put up
that she had brought all the way from Scotlan thinking to make it look
bit more homey, and the first big rain completely ruined, them.
rain leaked onto bed, and. Agnes had. to
put up her umbrella.
That first year was a real
hardship so Andrew and son, Willie, got busy
next spring and built a proper log house. It was a tremendous
over the sod shanty.
In 1882, life in Manitoba wasn't all that primitive. True, there were
of hardships, but Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald was in the
seat, the Indians had calmed down considerably much to my great
relief, the bison had almost disappeared from the Manitoba scene, and
fences enclosing cultivated fields were fast taking over the wild
of the landscape. This was also a time of transition from old to new
methods. The European method of farming on small tracts of land didn't
itself to the cultivation of the huge expanse of the prairies. The
was replacing the reaper and, thus, releasing scarce workers from
to hand-tie the grain into sheaves. Long seed drills, pulled, by a
team, were becoming numerous but it was much later that a step was
at the back of the machine to allow the driver to ride Instead of walk.
gangplow, also employing four horses, was quickly taking the place of
walking plow, although the latter was still favoured for the initial
up of the sod. Tough horses of mixed breeds with a shot of wild broncho
their bloodlines were taking the place of the slow oxen. The great
steam-engine, coupled with a threshing separator, made its appearance
Manitoba in the early eighties. At first, the separator was pulled
a double row of stacks and the pitchers toiled to keep the sheaves
Steadily through the feeder. In those days, grain was bagged as It came
from the separator. In later years, a different method was
when manpower becamemore easily obtained. The threshing outfit would be
in the middle of a field of stocks and stock teams, consisting of two
with a team of horses hitched to a hayrack, would bring the load of
to the threshing machine. These were pitched into the feeder of the
just as in days of old, and the separator then deposit the grain by
into a portable granary, and a blower deposited the straw in a stack to
used later as bedding for the animals.
Life for my great grandparents wasn't without its tragedy. Young George
a homestead not far from the home spread. Being a bachelor, he probably
look after himself very well and, as a consequence, he caught pneumonia
the tender age of twenty-two and died, alone, on May 25, 1888. If only
had been a telephone.
Another tragic incident occurred when Andrew Jr. and Frank Grant, son
Mrs. Ed. Willey, ran over and killed a small Indian child while racing
Indian ponies. They had gone to an Indian pow-wow on the Sioux Valley
Reservation and, when it came time to go home, they raced their ponies
of the camp with the others. A small Indian child raqn out of one of
teepees and was run over by one of the ponies. The Indlans mounted
ponies, took out after Andrew Jr. and Frank, and caught them. It looked
serious for them for a while Because the Indians were really aroused
clearer heads prevailed and tempers finally cooled The two thoroughly
lads were released and
allowed to return home.
One of the first things immigrants did when they arrived in Manitoba
to plant trees around their 'buildings. Apart from being very fondof
the immigrants found them very useful as windbreaks for the farm
against the cold north winds during the winter. They usually chose
or Manitoba Maple because it didn't take these trees very long to reach
in the rich virgin soil.
Manitoba Maple was also quite often chosen to line the streets of
Because of its wild array of colour during the autumn season. During
the wide spreading boughs afforded welcome shade on a hot
The people in the district thought it was high time they had a church
in 1888, on a piece of property kindly donated by James Sibbald and
a generous donation from J. W. Wedderburn, my great father, son Willie,
John Ramsay built the Tarbolton Presbyterian Church. It had a coal and
heater in the middle of the room and those who sat too close were
while those by the window nearly perished with the cold. Then they
a stable for the horses And '''twa' wee hoosies" at the back of the
and they were in business. Prior to this, services had been held in the
school. It is nice to know that, ninety-three years later, the church
my great grandfather helped to build is still standing and in excellent
lovingly cared for by a small congregation of dedicated people.
it is now the Tarbolton United Church.
In 1883, the first schoolhouse was built and it had a complement of
pupils of all ages and grades up to grade eight. However, it
all year but closed from December 1st to April 1st and the pupils
only two weeks of summer vacation. It was struck twice by lightning and
world globe, hanging from the ceiling, was split in two. Luckily, the
were on their way home at the time. . After that,whenever a storm was
the children were quickly dismissed, In 1907, a new school was built
the old one was much too small for the growing population. This school
a furnace in the basement
Instead of the old pot-bellied stove in the classroom. The children
to roast apples on top of that old pot-bellied stove. There wasn't a
at the school so the drinking water had to be carried from Bill
farm every day, and the horses were lodged at the church stable just
a mile down the road.
Teachers were made of good stuff in the early days. They had to they
have survived! Eight grades in one room, as many as pupils ranging in
from six to sixteen, and all having to be taught different subjects at
Furthermore, they were well taught. Actually having several grades in
room was quite a good idea, because the the children in the lower
could listen in on the lessons taught to the older children and, when
graduated to a higher grade, they already knew most of the work.
if teachers have
More than twenty pupils in only one subject and, in only one grade,
to scream holy murder.
Agabella's Dream Comes True
Agabella thought longingly of her 'boy-friend, Robert Thomson, back in
and wished fervently that he would emigrate to Manitoba. She didn't
long to wait because he followed her out in 1883, andworked for Jack
for a short time before taking up a homestead.
Jack was a bachelor and he and Robert lived on boiled potatoes,
pudding and eggs part of the year. On a cold winter's day, snow would
through the cracks in Jack's shanty, the nail heads and hinges on the
would be covered with frost, and ice would form on the water bucket
the night. Of course, this was a common occurence in most of the
shanties, and even the strongest and toughest of pioneers would think
of their old homes and would wonder if they had made the right move.
years later, when Agabella was just twenty-one, Robert proposed and
The first year was a bit of a disaster in that Agabella, in her
to have the yard neat and tidy, let a small fire get away from her.
a fire gets going in the prairie "wool" it is almost impossible to
Prairie wool is grass that has been flattened to the ground and has
and cured itself. The bison liked to eat the nutritious "wool". She and
sister, Tina, rushed out of the shanty to fight the fire, leaving the
open and the bread baking in the oven. In the meantime, a wandering cow
the shanty and the door slammed shut behind her. She became frightened
in trying to escape she made an almost complete shambles of the shanty.
the two exhausted women returned from fire fighting, they had to shoo a
cow out of the shanty and clean up an indescribable mess as best they
One wonders what happened to the bread.
Robert had to haul his grain by team to Brandon in the winter,
miles away, for the first few years and then to Alexander, twelve miles
On the Brandon trip he would drive as far as Gray's farm which was also
half way house, stay the night, drive to Brandon and back to Gray's
the next day, and then home the day after. It was a long haul for both
and the team. The Alexander haul was an improvement because he could do
both ways in one day. There and back, he would stop at Mrs. Occapaw's
to warm himself. There would be scalps hanging all around the inside of
teepee and Robert often wondered if they were taken at the Custer
but he never dared to ask. Luckily, the Sioux were quite peaceful by
time. I suppose they realized that it was utterly useless to fight the
foreigners invading and taking over their land.
One wonders why the homesteaders didn't make the trip during the autumn
the wagon, but there was a very good reason. There was no bridge over
Assiniboine River and so they had to wait until the river froze over
they could get across. In 1892, a bridge was built which made the
of grain considerably easier.
Some mention should be made here of Mrs. Occapaw, the old Sioux
because she was quite a character. She was quite stout, partly because
the layers upon layers of petticoats she wore even on the hottest
day. When asked, why she wore so many clothes, her reply was that if
left them in her teepee her daughter-in-law would, steal them. Quite
she would be observed walking all the way from the Indian Reservation
stopping at each farm for a large dinner. By the time she arrived at
Thomson's farm she was fit to burst, but that didn't deter her for one
She would tie into another hefty dinner and then go outside and roll on
ground, groaning in discomfort, until she was able to walk again. The
walk in between meals probably saved her from a heart attack because
lived to a ripe old age,
The village of Bradwardine came into being In 1902 and the Canadian
Railway came through in the same year. The first grain elevator wasn't
until 1903 so all the grain had to be hauled in sacks until around 1906
the farmers were then able to haul their grain in bulk. The
were now hauling their grain to Bradwardine because the route was so
shorter. Around 1909 Bradwardine suffered a great disaster when the
street was completely gutted by fire, a tragedy from which it never
The first post office in the district was located in the log home of
Seens and was called Roden. This name was submitted to the post office
by Mr. Seens and accepted, the office being named after a Lord Roden in
The mail was carried on foot by Davie Aitken from Brierwood. In 1904,
Laing took over the task of mail carrier which he carried on until
The mail then came to the village of Bradwardine where Jim Hays ran the
post office until it was taken over by Ab Hays who ran it for many,
years. From 1904 to1914, the mail was delivered by team. The route
consisted of twenty-three miles from Roden through Brierwood, Hillview,
to Griswold and return, making it a forty-six mile trip in one day.
was done twice a week. The last four years were a bit easier as the
were made by Model T Ford during the summer.
In early days homesteaders made their own entertainment with dances,
parties, sports days, picnics and concerts using home-grown talent,
of it remarkably professional.
Dances were held in various homes and people would, travel for miles to
often not returning home until morning. They worked hard and they
When the slough froze over, a gang would gather together, build a
at the edge of the ice, and enjoy an evening of skating.
Whenever a homesteader required a new barn, all the neighbours would
on his farm and they would raise it in double-quick time. Women would
come along to help in the kitchen. After all, the builders had to eat.
the barn was finished, there would be a dance and homesteaders for
around would come. There was always a fiddler around who could provide
music and the festivities would go on until it was time to milk the
the next morning. Helping one another seems to be a natural trait of
A farmer thought nothing of working fourteen hours a day with no
pay. Most of the time he worked his guts out for nothing. One a farmer
be gloating over his field of golden grain waving gentle breeze,
tabulating what forty bushels to the acre Manitoba No. 1 Hard was going
bring him and, in less than half an it could he blackened and flat as a
from a freak hailstorm. If a farmer was lucky enough to avoid the
there was always
it, a cyclone, an early frost, rust, cutworms, or those perishing
with which to contend. Why do farmers take the gamble year year?
they are incurable optimists, I suppose. It is certain to be better
Some people seem to have the mistaken idea that farmers had a time
the winter. Nothing could be further from the truth, especially in the
days. When grain was sacked instead of being left in bulk as it is now,
sacks had to be inspected for the smallest hole. These had to be
darned and Robert became exceptionally good at darning. Also, the
canvasses had to be inspected and Robert used to mend his binder
on Agabella's sewing machine. Can you imagine a modern sewing machine
up to such usage? Then, all the harness for approximately a dozen teams
horses had to be carefully mended and lubricated to keep it pliable.
that man hours! When all that was done, the grain had to be drawn by
to the elevator. Can you imagine what it must have been like to sit
a slow-moving team in sub-zero weather for hours on end? The farmer
most of way behind the sleigh to keep his feet from freezing.
Document #7: The Roseville
From the work of J.C. Cousins, one of the earliest settlers in the
1882 my brother Dick canvassed the district for subscriptions for
purpose of 'building an Anglican Church. The Caporns, Piersons and
were anxious for a Church service, so a meeting was called and Dick
his efforts with theirs and in 1884 the Roseville Church was erected
on the north east quarter of section 26-11-20. Varcoes gave the
An Agreement was entered into by the four denominations then
Anglican. Baptist, Methodist and Congregational, each having the
to supply its own Minister on one Sunday of eaoh month. The funds and
were all pooled in, or under a Treasurer, This was the first Church
in Daly Municipality.
Township 12 Range 20 was set aside as a Reserve for British
Crecy John Williams was employed by the Dominion Steamship Company to
immigrants out to fill up the lands on the township. He arrived at
La Prairie with sixty families. He met ay father and offered him a
and pre-emption for him and Dick, my brother, on the Reserve provided
would come West and assist him in locating these people on their
My father led them into the township had traveled miles in locating
I am going to set forth some facts pertaining to the early history of
Church in Rivers, as well as certain other facts relating to the early
of the Anglican Church in the English Reserve, which is, as the most of
knew, situated just east of Rivers and more particularly comprising
12, Range 20, and also a bit of history about the first Church in the
River settlement in Manitoba. You may wonder how the settlers of the
1875 and up to 1880, that came west and homesteaded in the Western part
Manitoba, got on without a Church or Minister. However, my Dad
family stopped and camped in a large tent for three weeks at a Peter
house and on the old Indian trail. In coming West to the English
of course, my Dad and. brother Dick homesteaded on Sec. 17-12-20, three
East of Rivers, and. We. Together with the other settlers were
a Minister until the spring of 1880. At this time the Reverend
B. Sargent was sent out "by the Anglican Church to Rapid City and. he
to walk out to our place, a distance of ten miles and hare service at
house, at which nearly all the settlers In the Township would attend.
brother Dick would drive him "bade home in the lumber wagon. These
were continued until 1884 at which time an arrangement was made and the
Church was erected. I am reminded that this past year is the 50th
of the Anglican Church history in Rivers. On October 7t, 1907 I
this letter inserted herein, his in answer to mine dated October 1st,
Mr. J. C. Cousins, Reeve,
Pendennis P.O. Manitoba.
Replying to your letter of the 1st inst., I am unable to say at the
time what reduction will be made in the price of lots at Rivers to be
for Church purposes. I have referred this matter to the executive of
Company and I will communicate with you when I hear from them. In the
it would be well for you to make a selection of the lots you require. I
a blue-print of the town of Rivers upon which I have marked the lots
(Signed) G.H. Ryley
We at once made the selection and purchased the lots.
By Denise Bromley
88th Edition The New Leaf December
as a result of participating in our Branch‘s cemetery
project, I re-visited the history of my community‘s little
Roseville Church was 1 1/2 miles down the road from our farm beside
Cemetery. However, to preserve the building, it is now located at the
Museum just a short distance from its original
location. This little church has given me a glimpse into what rural
was like for my
husband, Don, while he was growing up. Inside there is the organ that
grandmother used to pump out the music on Sunday morning, Attendance
charts hanging on the wall listing himself, his siblings, cousins and
with stars strung out behind their names, hymn books along with many
items relating to the church and the people who once attended the
After taking some photographs of the church, of memorabilia and
with Lois Allen, I dug out my ―From Generations to Generations‖ history
as compiled by the Committee and Members of the Kirkham Bridge
The following, with permission is their article about Rosedale Church.
The English Church which had been holding services in this new
a few years previous to the building of Roseville Church, was first
by the Reverend Shepherd, minister at Rapid City, and it is something
of note that the English Church has given a steady and continuous
up to the present time.
For the Baptist, Mr. Westwood, a local preacher, was the first to
the pulpit. When the Baptist College was instituted at Brandon, the
used to fill the vacancies, one of whom in later years was the Reverend
Stone, a preacher in the First Baptist Church,. This denomination, at
time, held their baptismal service at the ―Ford‖ four miles straight
of Roseville, on the Little Saskatchewan River. It attracted many
some even came the night before to set up camp so that they would be on
early to get a choice seat on the bank, to witness the event.
A Methodist, Reverend Davies, is supposed to have held the very first
in the church on March 30th, 1884. One Methodist preacher stands out in
memory of one of the first church-goers. He could quote scripture
his ordinary conversation was full of Scriptural texts and sayings, and
invocations were something extraordinary. He would begin very softly
get to forte, gradually working up to crescendo, until at last one
almost hear him a mile away, hammering at the Throne of Grace.
The Congregationalists were first supplied by the Y. M. C. A. of
who gave some very interesting and lively meetings. Reverend Mason
for several years, as did Mr. H. Cater, then Mayor of Brandon.
About 1915, the Methodists withdrew their minister from Roseville as he
a large charge which took in Forrest; Wesley and Bethel. The
Church in Brandon, from where this denomination had drawn its supply of
was closed, so this left only the Anglican and Baptist denominations.
some time the Baptists carried on services but when the divinity course
no longer offered at Brandon College, it was found too difficult to
someone to take services, so they too dropped out. Then for the next
years the Anglican and Union services alternated until gradually for
reasons the Union services were discontinued.
Through the years several changes
have been made to the Church, all by
labour. An addition, 16 x 16 was built in 1896, which increased the
capacity considerably. In 1909 a basement was dug, then in 1926 a new
was placed under it, and a new furnace installed. It was repainted
and out and another carpet purchased for the platform. In 1942 the
was lined with gyproc and painted. The original seats and pulpit were
and donated by Mr. James Varcoe; but in 1952 these seats were sent to
mission at Snow Lake and Roseville fell heir to the pews from the
Church at Wheatland. An altar was added in 1944, and a Booker Furnace
time later. In 1953 the building was wired for electricity. The
has served many purposes—for Sunday School classes, concerts
otherwise), meeting place for the Circle of Kings Daughter‘s,
Women‘s Auxiliary and Junior Auxiliary, and sometimes for picnic
25th, 50th, 70th and 100th Anniversaries have been celebrated.
What a wealth of recollections these two words bring to the minds of
whose lives were coincident with the beginning and building of that
memories sweet and bitter, memories of joys and sorrows, memories of
ones ―loved long since and lost awhile,‖ memories that are ever
by the fleeting wings of Time. One cannot tell the story of Roseville
without mentioning some of the incidents leading up to its beginning
building which has meant so much to the people of this district, and is
in such affectionate remembrance by all those who were members from its
During January, 1882, Mr. William Peirson, visiting the Varcoes in
la Prairie, remarked to Mrs. Varcoe (then principal of Portage
―We are looking forward to the time when you settle on your homestead,
that you can take a Bible Class for our boys on the Sabbath‖. When she
on her farm Mr. Peirson called again, and urged the formation of a
Class. Accordingly on Easter Sunday, March 25th, 1883, at the
of Mr. and Mrs. James Varcoe eight young people gathered at their home
form a Class and to study God‘s word. Later on it was urged that
̳heads of the families should enjoy the privileges of Christian
so through the summer of that year services were held in four different
(Peirson‘s, Caporn‘s, Varcoe‘s and probably
Cousin‘s), hymns were sung, with
a word of prayer. It was found that at the end of a year, an average of
persons had been present each Sunday.
It should be emphasized here, that the formation and origin of
Mission Hall (as it was then called) was greatly due to the efforts and
sense of Christian duty and service held by the James Varcoes, who have
since passed to the ̳Great Beyond‘. In the spring of 1884,
need of a place of worship was apparent to everyone, two friends went
collecting and canvassing for the necessary funds. Everyone visited,
or promised willingly sums of money, and also the needed labour for
this first church in Daly Municipality.
Mr. Varcoe donated two acres of land in the northeast corner of his
on 8-11- 20 for a church site and burial ground. Thirteen teams hauled
building materials from Brandon, free of charge, then work commenced. A
16 x 24 was soon erected ―for the people had a mind to work‖ and the
service was held on Easter Sunday, April 13th, 1884. It might here be
that owing to the smallness of any one denomination, it was thought
to make it a Union Church and to pool the funds under one treasurer.
denomination — Baptist, Episcopal, Methodist and
its own service one Sunday of the each month, which on the whole worked
successfully, as everyone joined heartily in the services whether it
their particular denomination or not.
In connection with this it might be said ̳in passing‘ that
inside the Church were singing ―Peace, perfect Peace‖, with every sign
concord and unity, there was often disunity outside. As is well known,
country places there is always a large canine population. So it was in
days. Every farmer was the possessor of two or three dogs and no doubt
latter did not see why they could not follow a team or buggy on Sundays
well as week days, so there generally was a goodly array of Church-
Often when the congregation was singing a hymn, some dogs more
inclined than the rest would join in, which did not contribute to the
but which not doubt, they thought a howling success. At other times
as the minister was beginning his ̳thirdly‘, a dogmatic
would start up outside by some dogs belong perhaps to a Baptist or
member, others would join in and it would end up in a ̳free-
This was very disturbing and tantalizing to the younger portion of the
inside, particularly when they could hear some of the boys at the back
out to see the fun. Sometimes an elder of the Church would go out
to stop the noise, but it was thought he really went to see that his
didn‘t get the worst of the discussion. Roseville, in those days,
a choir and choir master. One choir leader of note was Mr. George Mann
was a gold medalist, having sung before Queen Victoria. He proved to be
of any situation, when for instance on the Sunday morning that Mrs.
Caporn‘s big collie dog followed her to Church and as she took
in the choir the dog took his place under her seat. While the first
was being sung the dog began to howl. Mr. Mann turned when (he) heard
sound and said, ―The soprano is out.
1959 saw Roseville celebrate its 75th Anniversary. The Anglican
from Rivers continued to conduct services, but finally, because of
times, it was felt that it would be better to amalgamate with St. James
Church in Rivers. A once a year service and picnic continued to be held
In 1979 the Roseville congregation decided to close Roseville Church,
the building was donated and moved to the Albert Chapman Museum. The
service and picnic have continued to be held on the Museum Grounds.
In 1983 a special service took place, to unveil and dedicate a cairn
now stands in Roseville Cemetery, where close by for so many years the
had gathered to worship. Centennial year, 1984, also was celebrated
thankfulness for 100 years of worship, fellowship, and neighborliness
Indeed, Roseville Church has remained a Beacon
casting its rays of Christian influence and blessings into the hearts
lives of all who lived within the radius of its beam.
From the work of J.C. Cousins, one of
settlers in the
A tribe of Sioux Indians
were the first inhabitants of Daly
The Government set aside all the land lying between the Little
and Assiniboine rivers, more particularly described today as Township
Range 21, but the Government evidently discovered this was more
for farm lands and had the Indians removed to the Griswold
Wabadista was the Indian Chief at that time. This tribe of Indians had
from the United States and crossed into Canada to avoid the wrath of
United States Government
Nevertheless there were some fine stalwart Indians amongst them. A John
of the tribe had joined the North West Mounted Police - their duty was
patrol the whole of the North West Territories and John had become
with every river, nook and corner of the West then left the Force, but
the 1885 Rebellion started (which was brought about by Louis Riel, he
not forgotten his defeat in 1870) John joined up again and did his best
prevent an uprising. An Indian trail led on from the Reserve to join
Yellow Head Pass or Trail, It was so called after Jasper Hawes one of
gentlemen adventurers of the Hudson Bay Company who had very red hair
the Indians named it Yellow Bead Pass because he had hair the colour of
wheat in the sheaf. They called him Tette Jaune or Yellow Bead.
the time of the rebellion, the then residents were very much afraid,
in mind the massacres, scalping and awful deeds perpetrated in the
at the time Custer in Minnesota and the South fought the Indians and
killed. They came over to Canada from Dakota after Sitting Bull was
. They never showed any desire to take up arms here or to become
had many pow-wows, beat their Tom-toms and would dance around yelling
Yi, Hi Yi.”
“Bradwardine & District, A Century & More”,
Book Committee, 2003 p.12
The Canadian Pacific
Railway (CPR) was under construction west of
in 1881. Land surveys had been completed in Daly Municipality and were
elsewhere in the province. Governments of both Canada and Manitoba, as
as the Canadian Pacific Railway were actively promoting land sales and
of the province.
As the Bradwardine district was becoming settled between 1880 and 1890,
was a boom in new railway line construction. Many different lines were
in Manitoba, however, many had poor financing and were being promoted
speculators, while there were others where business did not meet
The Great Northwest Central Railway line from Forrest to Lenore was
through Bradwardine in 1902, some 20 years or more after the first
arrived. The Great Northwest Central line, like many other branch lines
at the time, was subsequently purchased by the Canadian Pacific Railway.
At one time, the Canadian Pacific Railway ran tri¬weekly mixed
and passenger trains on the Forrest/Brandon to Lenore line. This was
reduced to biweekly and lastly, in the late 1940's, on an as required
to pick up grain cars. As of today, in 2002, the rail service has now
abandoned for a number of years, the rails have been removed, and the
lands returned to agriculture.
From various sources
The townsite of Bradwardine
sprang up with the arrival of the C.P.R
line from Brandon in 1902. Prior to the arrival of the rail line the
region centred around local schools and post offices, with the
of Tarbolton being the most identifiable centre with both a church and
school on 21-11-22. St. Matthew’s Anglican Church had been
erected on SE
20-12-22 about three kilometers northeast of the current village of
in 1901 near where Ancrum school had been opened in 1882.
Early settlers, many of them from Scotland, but also from England and
were here before the railway reached Brandon and it wasn’t an
During the spring they could come by way of the Assiniboine River,
from the steamers at Hall’s Landing, a few kilometers north of
Bridge sits today. There was a Mission near that spot that offered
and some help to arrivals. In other season arrivals trekked from
on foot or in ox carts. Upon arrival they could consider
lucky in that there were enough trees on the many ravines and creek
to provide logs for building – those who chose the more southern
had to make do with sod huts.
Soon after the first train arrived the village had the full range
pioneer era services arranged in a modest grid of streets along the
line, the most vital of which would be the elevator constructed in 1903
the Ogilvie Company. Two other elevators followed with the Pool
built in 1927, standing alone today. Bradwardine School was built in
A Presbyterian Church was soon open in the village to serve that
Limber yard, blacksmith shop and a hotel soon were in business.
A private bank was opened by a Mr. Dickson and it was later taken over
the Bank of Hamilton. The vault still marks the spot, just south of the
Sometime around 1910 a fire destroyed much of the main business
and although the town continued to grow the commercial sector never
recovered from that setback.
IT JUST HAPPENED
Ab and Harriet Chapman
At the beginning it
wasn't a dream, or even a thought to own our own
or anything of that nature. It was just a desire to acquire a set of
jugs from the small pint to a large five-gallon. This started after we
the old General Store at Carnegie. While dismantling it, we discovered
huge five-gallon jug in one of the corners. It found a place in our
and in no time was the center of a set of other sizes and trade names.
along came Canada's 100th Birthday - 1967 - with the desire to set up a
display as our way of celebrating the Centennial. Well! We had an
empty "Bunk House'' which had been built during the 1940's to
extra harvesters needed to help with our farming operations. This
like the ideal spot to put the jugs, churns, and a few other articles
during 30 years of wedded bliss. From there it was off and running! We
bitten by the "Bug". We came to
know the fun and rivalry of Auction Sales. We found ourselves the
of gifts from folk who didn't want to throw old, unused articles away,
who wished them to be kept undercover. Soon our "Bunk House" was
at the seams. Luckily, some years prior to 1967, we had purchased the
Railway Station which we intended to use for grain storage. It was
to a new location and soon became part, and full, of our collection.
"Complex" as we now call if as it seems to be "the word" nowadays, is
up of Robinville School, a Jug House, a General Store, a Library,
Shop combined, as well as the two above-mentioned buildings. Oh yes,
"Bunk House" has been renamed-the "Glass-House". Much more
Let's have a short run-down of a few of the items each building
The Glass House houses a collection of glassware from cup glass to
glass; china - from Ironstone (remember the large white soup plates you
your hot porridge from each morning?) to fine English and
china; lamps - many models and sizes, including a beautiful hanging
complete with hand-painted shade and crystal drops; bathroom sets
missing the mug that went under the bed, guess it got the most
use); gramophones with both cylinder and 1/4 inch thick discs;
and cards; and photograph and postcard albums. Our lady visitors seem
like the Glass House more than the other buildings.
Next in line is the library and Smoke shop. Here we have modem books as
as old, dog-eared volumes. Our oldest book is a huge Bible with an
on the cover showing it was given as a gift in 1756. It is written in
German language. Here also is a conglomerate of newspapers,
farm journals, and craft magazines. There is a "Grain Growers Guide",
10th, 1919, Volume XII, No. 37, publjshed weekly with George F.
Editor and Manager, which has a page of Arch Dale's "Doo Dads". There
also "True Story" magazine, October; 1925, Volume XIII, No. 3,
published monthly by True Story Publishing Company, New York, New York.
has proven to be a real eye-catcher. There's many a gal who remembers
reading "True Story" and hiding it quickly under a pillow when Mom and
approached. The Smoke Shop consists of tins, cans, and humidors that
contained that evil weed called tobacco. One tin has the price ten
stamped on it. Imagine! Also displayed
here are articles pertaining to tobacco - pipes, tobacco cutters, cigar
and other numerous articles. A guest book in this building shows
names from many places in Canada, Great Britain, and the United States.
Let's move on to the General Store, On the way we pass a C. P, R.
wagon on which proudly stands a large brass school bell purchased at
Saskatchewan; as well as a feed cooker or pig scalder and a
child's wagon. Outside the store, a hand-wound barber pole is placed on
wall. Inside are many articles that were found in most country stores,
shops, and hardware stores. There is also a wooden apple-barrel from
with a checkerboard tacked on the lid, as well as a "Whatzit". What it
is a large, cumbersome butter roller standing on 24 inch legs, It was
out by the T. Eaton Company about 1917. There is, of course, a large
stove in the General Store,
Now we are going to Robinville School which is the former country
in our neighbouring district. In here we have a varied collection of
such as Beaver, Canadian Queen, Doolittle, and Mason, as well as
It's a real find to come across an embossed bottle bearing the name and
of a chemist or druggist, or an old pop bottle whose manufacturer has
been outof existence, A Raleigh's peddlar's carrying case of 1921 with
full bottles and tins, sits or. a table. Besides it is an electric
with the cooling unit on the outside on top of the refrigerator.
inside the classroom are lined with old and new school books such as a
of Canadian Readers, published by Gage and Company, Toronto, dating
1881 to 1883, and a set of Victorian Readers, published by Copp, Clark
and W.G, Gage Company Limited, Toronto, dated 1898, There are also map
chalk boxes, slates and slate pencils, and four heavy ledgers
accounts of Christie's School Supply Limited, Brandon, Manitoba. These
show the company dealings with schools all
over Western Canada and Ontario. These are accounts of the years 1910
1916. We had hoped to set this building up as an old-time classroom,
because it is a fairly large building and our collection is also fairly
the additional space was used to
display radios, cameras, harnesses, Indian artifacts, and war-time
From Robinville we walk to Pendennis Station. This contains railroad
brochures for travelling by rail or steamer, mail sacks and locks, and
long pole with a hoop on one end used to pick up messages without
the train. Here also we see a large collection of wrenches. Many an
reminisces here while: displaying a badly-
bent finger or a hand missing a finger and pointing to the wrench that
it to him. Also on display are license plates (still with one or two
to complete the set), tools, keys, washing machines and a string of
harness bells, each one with its own distinctive ring and tone.