Did You Know?
Trunk Pacific trestle
bridge was one of the longest of its kind in Western Canada
when it was completed in 1908. After several upgrades and
modifications it remains an impressive sight.
The Chapman Museum has the regions best collection of historic
buildings, including the Pendennis Railway Station, Harrow School and
the Roseville Church
The Roseville Misson Hall, built in 1884 was shared by four faiths,
each taking turns.
Tarbolton United Church was built as Tarbolton Presbyterian in 1888
is the oldest church still in use in the R.M.
The Municipality’s first Post Office was Lothair, near
Bradwardine, opened in 1882 in the home of Zachary Bailey.
Daly Union School was the first school to be established in the
municipality in 1884 on NW 32-11-22.
North American Lumber, now a nation-wide chain, was established in
Rivers in 1906.
R.S. McKenzie established his General Store in 1907.
Wareham Brothers Butcher Shop, built in 1915 is still standing as
of Lee’s Restaurant.
The Korman Block, built in 1908, is now home to Forbidden Flavours.
Ancrum Anglican Church, built in 1901, is now part of the English
All that remains of Bradwardine’s Hamilton Bank, built in
1918, is its vault.
The dam built in 1901 for Manitoba’s first hydroelectric
generating station created a lake in the Little Saskatchewan River
south of Kirkham’s Bridge.
1898, John Howie of Bradwardine led a cattle drive to the Yukon
Rivers is named after Sir Charles Rivers-Wilson – President
of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway.
The first railway passenger service to Rivers arrived on Sept. 21,
Grand Trunk Pacific President Charles M. Hays died on the RMS
Titanic, April, 14, 1912.
The first scheduled passenger train arrived in
Rivers over the Grand Trunk Pacific Rail line on September 24, 1908. It
left Winnipeg and contained two passenger coaches and a half dozen
freight cars. It became a tri weekly service from both directions with
an all-night stopover in Rivers.
The RM of Daly and Rivers Town Council held a joint
inauguration meeting on November 8, 1908
On December 1, 1908 a telephone connection was made
with the outside world. The telephone was located in the J.A. Grummet
& Co. store located on Second Avenue
The three elevators in Wheatland did a thriving
business in the 1907-08 season by handling 150,000 bushels of grain.
In 1923 His Royal Highness, the Prince of Wales
didn’t reach Rivers railway depot by train but rather, walked the
ties for a mile with a solitary escort.
In 1924, the Prince of Wales stepped off a special
train at Rivers Station.
In 1926 His Excellency Lord Baron Byng of Vimy,
accompanied by Lady Byng visited with Rivers School children on the
station platform. He gave them a half day break from school.
In 1929 The Rivers Ukrainian Society purchased the
old Victoria House/Four Star Theatre on Second Avenue
Pete Luchuk and John Sasko were in charge of
Ukrainian Bazaar on October 24th and some of the prizes were a seven
jeweled railroad watch for $7., a hammock for $7.,a ton of coal for
$10.50 and 100 lbs. of sugar for $7.
In 1906-1907 the Bradwardine Hockey team played for
the Stanley Cup.
photo in Photo section) Top Row J. Wedderburn –Spare,
R. English, C. Point, G.R. Hull Centre J. Alteman, L Wing 2nd Row
D. Dobson, R. Wing D.A. McKee Mgr. E.D. Gray Goal, 3rd Row
T. Dobson Point Stanley Cup H. Evans Rover)
In the late 1800’s the children of
Spring Valley School were taught by Miss Thoefelt. (Photo in Heritage
Sites section) )