and the R.M.
Free GT transportation to men and trees (from Ontario) to beautify the
Rumours of branch lines for the GT – to Brandon to connect with
the Great Northern. To Kamsak and to Regina – crossing the CP at
GTP crosses the Continental Divide in 1910-1911
− visit of Duke and Duchess of
– youngest son of Queen Victoria – initial Royal train to
pass over Grand Trunk Pacific lines.
− the building of shack-shelters near the
railroad shops for men who had been living in tents, the start of
construction on a G.T.P. Freight shed, completion of the comapny's new
− Rivers man – Robert McIntyre –
slipped beneath wheels of moving train – lost both legs.
− Engineer Hartnett accidentally killed at Edson
GTP President Charles M. Hays died on the RMS Titanic, 14 April,
Yard engine and two cars crashed over the end of the
coal dock after
the locomotive throttle refused to function, causing serious injuries
to brakeman George Hile and forcing engineer Joe Rymal and D.J.D. Ellis
to jump for safety.
GTP completed to Prince Rupert, British Columbia in 1914.
W. Files engineer died when his freight train ran into a gap which
– prior to a cyclone had been the 115 ft. high Miinewaska bridge. GTP
trains routed oved CPR lines via Minnedosa.
GTP Station station burns down on March 4 and a new
station was started in July and finished by September.
The new station features a restaurant called “The Beanery”
In 1919 the Grand Trunk Pacific station (later bought by CN) discussed
the possibilities with ( the new and growing) Town of Rivers provision
of electricity from its generator. The discussions culminated with Town
of Rivers Bylaws 120 and 121 proclaiming a $9,000.00 debenture to fund
the electrical distribution to the town. This was the railway leading
the way for the community with some vision for growth.
The Rivers Gazette, July 10, 1919 proclaimed Bylaw 120 & 121
for the funding of an electrical distribution system off the generator
at Grand Trunk Pacific and I have attached the following articles
related to same. This is how Rivers received its first electricity.