Businesses in Rivers
Rivers Insurance Maps
Archives of Manitoba
The Rivers Story
This view of Rivers in 1908 shows the North American Lumber Co., near
the left, on Second Street.
The original building is gone but the business continues on the same
The North American Lumber Co. was established in 1906, before the town
Rivers was named, but after it was common knowledge that the Grand
Pacific Railway would be passing through. As such the operation, which
expand into a national building supply company, was ready and willing
supply materials for the town that grew almost overnight as the rails
McKenzie established his General Store in 1907, the first General
Merchant in the new town of Rivers.
Carpenter’s shack –used during construction
Open for business.
Pioneer buildings were erected quickly and put into operation before
finishing touches were in place. In this photo the McKenzie Store has
given a new coating of brick.
|4. Cecil House
The Cecil House was on the corner of Second and Main, facing the Bank
5. Thompson Block
6. Wareham Bros.
7. Korman Block
8. Alexandra Hotel
9. Bank of
10. Livery Stable
Livery in 1908
Rivers in 1909