Pioneer Schools in The R.M. of Daly




Sources:

Historic Sites of Manitoba

Bradwardine and District: A Century and More. 1880-2003; Bradwardine History Book Committee

Tarbolton Pioneer Trails  1880-1969 

The Rivers Story, Prepared to Commemorate 50 Years of Town Incorporation, G.F. Barker

Kirkham's Bridge: From generation to generation - Kirkham's Bridge Women's Institute

 


 1. Ancrum SD #329 (27/9/84 – 10/8/15)



Source:  Historic Sites of Manitoba

Ancrum School was established here, in the hamlet of Ancrum in the Rural Municipality of Daly, in 1884. Later, an Anglican church and community hall were built nearby. It was hoped, on arrival of the Great North West Central Railway (later purchased by the Canadian Pacific Railway) in 1902, that a train station would be built. Instead, the station was built at Bradwardine where some of Ancrum’s buildings were relocated. The school closed in 1915 and its students went to Bradwardine Consolidated School No. 1307. The school building was moved to Bradwardine where it became a private residence. The church and manse remained until after the end of the Second World War. Today, nothing remains but this school monument. The Ancrum Anglican Cemetery, located one mile north, remains in use.






Source: Bradwardine and District: A Century and More. 1880-2003; Bradwardine History Book Committee



2. Bradwardine SD. # 1307. (1904 – 1968)


 

One Room School built in 1905 in the Village of Bradwardine. (SE 7-12-22) Second classroom added 1916.  New school built in 1956. Closed 1968. The grounds are still intact and a cairn had been erected.




Source: Bradwardine and District: A Century and More. 1880-2003; Bradwardine History Book Committee


 
3. Daly Union SD # 193 (1884 – 1966)

 


Daly Union School was the first school to be established in the municipality in 1884 on NW 32-11-22. It was built by the Williams Brothers for $458 with $55 for a porch added in 1893 when it was moved to SW 6-12-21, where George Butler put a foundation under it. It was replaced in 1921





4. Harrow SD #464 (1886 – 1966)



Harrow School was built in 1887 SW 22-11-20, G. Knowlton’s property – 1 acre. School replaced in 1923. The original school is now at the nearby Chapman Museum.





5.  Hunter SD. # 890 (1897 – 1946)

 





Hunter school was built in 1889 on NW 5-11-20. Improvements were made in 1942.
The school was named after the first white woman in the district, known as “Grandma Hunter”, who lived on SE 4-11-20 as of 1882.



6. Lothair SD #678. (1892 – 1959)

 

The name “Lothair” from a  book of that name owned by Zachary Baily.
Built in 1892 on NE 26-12-22, it burned in 1923 and was rebuilt on NW 25-12-22.

Source: Bradwardine and District: A Century and More. 1880-2003; Bradwardine History Book Committee



7. Mayne SD #571 (753 (Perfect) (1893 -1966) ?


School built in 1889 on SW 28-11-21 (16-11-21 accordubg to Historic Sites of Manitoba)



8. Pendennis  SD #920 (1898 - 1963)


 
Pendennis  School (Chapman Museum) was likely built on  SW 7-12-20. This School District was formed nineteen years after the first settlers arrived. It was likely moved to  7-21-20 after Consolidation with Rivers, the building was sold to Mr. Bellinski, moved to NE 12-12-21, and converted to a dwelling.



9. Poplar Hill SD#479 (1886 – 1967)



 

Poplar Hill on SE 1-11-20 was established in 1887. The building is now at the Chapman Museum.
The grounds are still intact and a cairn had been erected.



10. Robinville SD#1392  (1906 – 1966)

 

Robinville School operated from 1908 until 1965 at NW 11-12-20. The building has been moved to the Chapman Museum.

 

The grounds are still intact and a cairn had been erected.




11. Spring Valley SD # 649 (1891 – 1967)



The school was built ca. 1888 by John Moore on 12-11-22 and moved by George Buller to NE 11-11-22 about 1895. It burned in 1937 and was rebuilt mile west. It closed in 1948



12. Tarbolton School SD #297. (1884 - 1953)





The school was built in 1883 on NE 20-11-22, replaced in 1907 and closed in 1948. A cairn was placed at the site in 2007



13. Westwood SD # 1308 (1905 - 1967)



Westwood School at the Chapman Museum

Westwood School erected in the Village of Wheatland (NW 16-12-21) in 1904, is now at the Chapman Museum. James Foreman had contract for material. J.R. Barker did the painting. Thomas Oliver did carpentry and brickwork.
 


14. Rivers Consolidated School District