| News Files
News Archive /
WIN! A TRAIN TRIP FOR TWO TO TORONTO OR VANCOUVER!
Get on board The Great Train Trip Giveaway! You and a friend could be
traveling VIA Rail's signature Silver and Blue class from Rivers to
either Toronto or Vancouver ~ a round trip valued at nearly $5,000.!
• Get your tickets today ~ $20. each ~ only 1,000 sold.
• Tickets available at Carol's Time Again Treasures in Rivers,
through Saturday, 10 am to 5 pm ~ call 204-328-4434 ... or ... call
204-328-7841 evenings and weekends.
• All proceeds go to the Rivers Train Station Restoration
date is February 14, 2009 in Rivers, MB.
You could win a return trip for two from Rivers to either Toronto or
Vancouver on VIA Rail's award winning Canadian train. Your one/two day
trip each way will begin in Rivers (departs Rivers Wednesday, Friday
and Sunday), and you will be treated with VIA's signature Silver
Blue class service throughout the journey.
• Much more than a way to get there, Silver & Blue
romance and sophistication of a classic overnight rail experience.
Enjoy the best of Canadian cuisine, freshly prepared and served in the
stylish dining car. Pause for a drink in the Skyline car or Park car,
or climb up to the observation dome for a 360-degree view of your
surroundings. And fall asleep to the rhythm of the rails in your cozy
• As a Silver & Blue class passenger, you enjoy
privileges and priority baggage handling at major stations, comfortable
bedrooms with nightly bed turn down service, exclusive use of shower
facilities, exclusive use of lounges and observation dome in the Park
car, and an on-board Activity Coordinator. Special touches include a
"Welcome Aboard!" reception and appetizers and wine, personal shower
kit, 24-hour complimentary tea/coffee service, and of course, courteous
staff attentive to your every need.
• As all meals are included in your trip, dining in Silver
class is a memorable experience in itself. Whether for breakfast, lunch
or any of the three evening sittings, an enticing menu is freshly
prepared by our on-board chef, featuring soups and salads, superb hot
entrees and irresistible desserts.
• Full Draw Regulations are in the previous posting.
• For any further information regarding the Great Train Trip
or the Rivers Train Station Restoration Project, please call
• Get your ticket today ... and GOOD LUCK!
TRAIN TRIP GIVEAWAY DRAW REGULATIONS
• Winner will be determined by random draw on February 14,
• Winner will receive one voucher for TWO passengers for a
trip to either Toronto OR Vancouver aboard VIA Rail Silver and Blue
Class valued up to $5,000.
• Ticket voucher not transferable and cannot be redeemed for
• Ticket voucher must be redeemed by August 21, 2009 ~ this
not be extended.
• Departure must be from Rivers, Manitoba.
• Winner responsible for transportation to and from Rivers.
• Winner responsible for all lodging and expenses at point of
destination. (Toronto or Vancouver)
• Ticket voucher not valid December 15 - January 5 inclusive
from Easter Thursday to Monday inclusive.
• Only the winner's name on the voucher may use the voucher.
strictly forbidden to sell, assign, trade or transfer in any manner
whatsoever the travel voucher to another person.
• Subject to available of space on board. Early booking is
• Winner will be notified how to reserve their trip.
• Chances are 1 in 1,000 (total tickets sold) to win.
• Winner consents to release of name and photo by licensee for
Posted by Rivers Train Station Restoration Project Committee
CANADA Partners Generously with Community
VIA RAIL PRESENTS
PROMOTIONAL TRAVEL VOUCHER
Everyone present at the official opening of the Rivers Train
Stationette was thrilled when VIA Rail Canada representative Michael
Woelcke presented co-chairs Ralph Sprenger and Donna Morken with a
travel voucher. The promotional travel certificate will entitle the
bearer to two (2) round trip tickets in silver & blue class -
for travel from Rivers to either Vancouver or Toronto! The
of the voucher is estimated up to $5,000 and deemed perfect as a
fundraising raffle for the project.
At a luncheon following the opening, Mr. Woelcke announced
Rail Canada would also be picking up all costs of the renovations made
to the stationette building. VIA Rail's commitment in assisting and
working with the Rivers Train Station Restoration Project committee is
generous and warmly welcomed.
Posted by Rivers Train Station Restoration Project Committee
STATIONETTE OFFICIAL OPENING
SEPTEMBER 9, 2008
Rivers Train Station Restoration Project committee members Barb
Sveistrup and Arleigh White held the ribbon while (l to r) VIA Rail
Canada representative Michael Woelcke, committee co-chairs Ralph
Sprenger and Donna Morken performed the honours of cutting the ribbon.
The stationette provides a well-lit, warm, secure and safe place for
passengers boarding or arriving in Rivers. Formerly located
Brandon North the Rivers Train Stationette is now the only VIA Rail
boarding station west of Portage la Prairie into eastern Saskatchewan
and between the south and north Manitoba borders.
Community members graciously gave their time and expertise in moving
the stationette to it's location. Moving was done by Mark Gill of Gill
Farms, Oak River; shingles were donated by Accent Roofing, Brandon;
construction work was done by Doug Marriott of Marriott Construction,
Rivers; Harold Dyck, Rivers offered his skills in welding and many
committee members and their families did the painting and sprucing
up! The signage was donated by Neil Roy of Richmond Signs in
Brandon. Everyone's efforts resulted in a building we can all be proud
of. Just wait til we get started on the main station house!
All funding for the Rivers Train Station Restoration Project is raised
through government grants; individual, business and corporate
support/sponsorship and various fundraising projects such as the sale
of heritage keepsakes (railway spikes and station prints), personalized
bricks for the Wall of Memories as well as Rivers Train Station note
cards. See below.
by Rivers Train
Station Restoration Project Committee
Pewter locomotive mounted on an original railway spike adorned with a
silver RIVERS plaque.
A beautiful replication of the Rivers Train Station, painted by Dr.
Hobbs of Brandon, Manitoba, Canada is now available in 16" x 24"
prints. A keepsake to cherish.
Rivers Train Station Prints available at Carol's Time Again
in Rivers, 328-4434 or from Rivers Train Station Restoration Project
committee at 328-7841.
Wall of Memories
PERSONALIZED ENGRAVED BRICKS $50.
Brick by Brick, you can help build the Rivers Train Station Wall of
Memories to be built at Millenium Park, in the gardens next to the
This low, two sided wall will be graced with plantings and
the focal points in the development of the Millenium Park in Rivers.
Each brick will be a tribute to community members both past
• Personalized Engraved Bricks for the Wall of Memories may be
calling the Rivers Train Station Restoration Project committee at
The RTSRP Committee is right on track!
• Through a fully funded educational project a Brandon
has developed a business plan for the restoration of the Rivers Train
• Research is being made into the most effective and efficient
alternative energy source for the station. The options that are being
explored include solar, biodisel, geo-thermal and wind.
• Committee members and volunteers have held numerous clean-up
at the station, preparing it for reconstruction and renovation. Looking
• The general foundation and structure of the building is in
Steps have been taken to prevent further deterioration of the roof.
• VIA Rail Canada is working closely with the committee and
is enthusiastic about the future partnership!
• Part of the 'green' restoration plan for the roofing may
Enviroshakes® ... superior shingle product composed primarily
• The committee continues to work hard to promote
for the project.