Rivers / Daly Site Inventory  /   Page 7: Rivers and Area Infrastructure


444.M.1. Bell's Crossing

Construction Date:  1908

Location:  SW 18-12-20
 
Origins:

On McFadden farm

Features:

Abandoned in favour of trestle overpass for vehicle traffic

- Bell Crossing was an important crossing over the C.N. Main Line on the main road between Brandon and Rivers. The site is visible alongside the modern overpass. Because of the curve as the tracks bend towards Grant’s Cut and the crossing of the Little Saskatchewan River, a battery-operated bell alerted drivers that a train was coming.

- 1937 town applied to the railway commissioners for an overhead bridge at Bell Crossing
- C.J. Collingwood – first car across


444.M.2. CN Rail Bridge

Construction Date:  1908

Location: 
 
Origins:

1908 – Original G.P.P Bridge
1918 - 1923 – Much of original trestle filled in
1924 -  Exposed wood trestles replaced with iron – with only minor interruptions of service
2008 Extensive repairs

Features:

Grand Trunk Pacific

Note from “The Story of Rivers p 50:

-  in 1915 railway engineer died when his freight train crashed at the 115 foot high Minnewaska Bridge recently removed by a cyclone

-  big fill started in 1923 over what was then the longest trestle bridge in Western Canada

More Info...


444.M.3. Grant's Cut

Construction Date:  1908

Location: 
 
NE 13-12-21

Origins:

Grand Trunk Pacific

Railway right-of-way, to facilitate a gentle grade for the approach to the crossing of the Little Saskatchewan.

Features:



444.M.4. "Rumble Bridge"

Construction Date:  1944

Location: 
 
Origins:

First bridge ca. 1911 – reportedly “unsafe”
1944 – upgraded

Features:

“The concrete footings about 200 yards west of the present bridge on Highway 25 are the footings of the former bridge. That road was the main route to Brandon and all points to the south and east so everyone in the community crossed it often. And to get to Rivers --- and to get to school for me --- we had to cross it every day. (Except in the winter when, with a horse drawn cutter, van or sleigh we crossed on the river ice straight south of Rivers.)  The deck on the bridge was made of heavy wooden planks sitting crossways in a steel frame. But they weren't fastened in any way --- they just sat loose in the frame. So, when a vehicle crossed the bridge the planks "rumbled" quite loudly so the bridge became known as the ‘Rumble Bridge’ or the ‘Thunder Bridge’. “

Courtesy Don McFadden


444.M.5. Rivers Dam

Construction Date:  1959

Location:  W 19-12-20

Origins:

-  major project with significant recreational and water control implications for a large area

Features:

More Info...


444.M.6. Roundhouse Site

Construction Date:  1909

Location: 
 
Origins:

  - Grand Trunk Pacific
 - bought by Structural Fabricators - 1961
 
- only foundations remain

Features:

More Info...


444.M.7,9,10. GTP Dam & Pumphouse & Intake Site

Construction Date:  1908

Location: 
 
Origins:

Grand Trunk Pacific

Dam was erected and water pumped from here to the rail yards for steam engines.

- some interior structural / foundation elements remain

Features:

- only foundations remain

More Info...


444.M.8.Cossar Crossing

Construction Date:  1902

Location:  SE 23-12-21

Origins:

Bridge on CPR RR line running from Brandon (Chater) to Lenore, through Forrest, Wheatland and Bradwardine.
Established Wheatland as a commercial centre until the it was supplanted by Rivers when the Grand Trunk established its line there.

-  both railways lines found advantageous crossings of the Little Saskatchewan in this part of the valley.

Features: